Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Luke Rawicki. ENDS 170. Project 1

Project 1, with each composition, developed from a black and white frenzy into a picture with direction. The first composition, with little guidance given from the professor, contained many sharp shapes with almost no relation to one another, and with little concentration on the design process. The design was meant to follow the nature of the word aggressive and portray this through the balance of each of shape. The word "aggressive" is a strong rigid word describing quick, tough, and sponteous movements towards a point. The computer allowed for a lot of experimentation in dealing with this word for once I learned the photoshop commands. I began by trying to copy each shape from the top and dragging it within my composition but I learned this was not the best way.


The second composition represented here was a large jump forward, while being able to rapidly illustrate my thought process onto the screen. I just used the pen tool to draw the shapes onto the grid and this proved to be much more productive. This composition had more direction than the one before but still contained the random shapes that ruined my first try. With the critiques of widening my border and puting more thought to the representation of my word the second composition contained thick arrows that cut through the black space. These arrows entered from the outside and broke up the rigid border, which was not suitable for such a word. The relation between the shapes still needed some development.


The final composition drawn onto Photoshop took all of the critiques, including the balance of black and white, the further widening of the border, and the elimination of the focal points. Along with the remedy of these problems, I decided to add color to the major diagonals that give motion to the composition. The coloring was achieved by using the select tool and then adding the right hue to the different shapes that I felt completed the rotation and gave this composition its aggressive nature. In this final try, the arrows are mostly implied and therefore relate to each other without becoming individually noticeable. The border was separated at the points where the flow of the composition exited and entered. This has become the basis for my final drawing composition in ENDS 106.
























No comments: